HB5 College Preparatory Courses (CPC)
In our ongoing efforts to seamlessly transition students into higher education and in response to the HB5, Odessa College has designed a college preparatory program that is designed to: address the needs of grade 12 students whose performance on an EOC exam does not meet the college readiness standards. The program leverages the existing endorsements and available diagnostics to ensure that students have the opportunity to complete:
- Developmental coursework transferable to all Texas community colleges;
- Academic, transferrable coursework in preparation for matriculation into higher education; and
- A learning frameworks course: Strategies for Success – COLL0171. This course is required of all first time in college students at Odessa College and is AVID-infused to enhance student support. Completion of this course has proven to ensure students' future academic success, completion and job placement.
The infographic below is designed to provide a macro-level view of the program that includes:
- Information sessions for students and parents;
- Professional development for district and college faculty;
- Minimized cost;
- Maximized access to college learning support resources; and
- Increased student engagement.
Students who successfully complete the year-long college preparatory program will:
- Satisfy the EOC requirement for graduation;
- Meet the TSI standard for college readiness in ELA and/or MATH; and
- Complete at least six hours of transferrable college credit.
This joint effort between our partnering schools and Odessa College furthers the establishment of a college-going culture in each county.