Frequently Asked Questions
Q – What is dual credit?
A – Dual Credit is a process by which a high school student enrolls in a college course and receives simultaneous academic credit for the course from both the college and the high school. While dual credit courses are often taught on the secondary school campus to high school students only, a high school student can also take a course on the college campus and receive both high school and college credit. Dual credit courses include both academic courses as well as technical courses. These courses are stepping stones from high school to college, serving as a path to academic degree programs or college-level workforce education courses.
Q – What is CollegeNOW?
A – An Odessa College program for high school juniors and seniors who want to earn college credit while earning high school credit at the same time. Students may enroll in 1 or 2 classes after meeting the eligibility requirements.
Q – What is the CollegeNOW Academy ?
A – An Odessa College program for high school freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors who want to earn college credit while earning high school credit at the same time. Juniors and seniors may take up to 3 classes per semester if they meet eligibility requirements.
Q – How do I enroll?
- Students may pick up all CollegeNOW paperwork from their respective junior/senior high school campus counselor (Application, registration form and contract)
- The student’s parents and campus principals must sign off on the paperwork
- Students must meet all course requirements
- Turn in all signed forms to Odessa College Wrangler Express Center
Q – How do I find out if I am eligible?
A – Check with your school counselor
Q – Where and when is the Compass test given?
A – OC Testing Center LRC Room 209
(3 story building in center of the campus)
A – drop-in M-TH opens at 7:30 a.m.
- 3 sections must be there by 12:30
- 2 sections by 1:30
- 1 section by 2:30
Q – What can I do to prepare for the compass test?
A – Visit www.testprepreview.com
Q – How much is the Compass test and what do I need to bring?
A – $29 testing fee ($10 for retesting)
A – Picture ID and Social Security card required
Q – What tutorial services are provided for dual credit?
A – CollegeNOW students have access to the same resources as any OC student
- Student Success Center/Tutors
Q – What classes may I take and when?
A – The answer depends on which ISD you are with – for the most current information check with your
Q – Who pays and how much does it cost?
A – The answer varies based on your ISD. Check with your counselor
Q – Why take dual credit courses?
- Low cost
- Prepare for college
- College & High School credit
- To get ahead
Q – What to prepare for?
- College Expectations
- Student responsible for ALL communication with professors
- Utilize Resources- Labs, Tutors, Student Success Center, SmartThinking
Q – Will the CollegeNOW classes transfer to another college or 4 year university?
A – Yes, all classes offered at OC transfer.
- Courses that fulfill the core curriculum of a public college or university are guaranteed to transfer to any other public college or university in Texas by state law.
- CTWE courses are not generally designed for university transfer but rather as a component of programs that help the student gain the skills necessary to earn a family sustaining wage. However, they will transfer between colleges and may also fulfill requirements for a Bachelors of Applied Sciences or Bachelors of Applied Technology.