Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading.
Some of its features are:
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading.
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented.
- Printing functions are disabled.
- Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled.
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited.
- Right-click menu options are disabled.
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop.
- Function keys are disabled.
- Source code for the HTML page cannot be viewed.
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running.
- The browser automatically starts at Odessa College's blackboard login page.
- URLs cannot be typed by the user.
- External links don’t compromise the “locked” testing environment.
- Pages from the assessment aren’t cached or stored in Internet Explorer’s history listing.
- Assessments that are set up for use with Respondus LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers.
Respondus LockDown Browser is available for Windows and Mac and can be downloaded by following this link:
If you need help on how to use it check out the following PDF guides.
Lockdown Browser - Instructor guide
Lockdown Browser - Student guide