Mentoring Others Results Excellence (M.O.R.E.) Program
What is the M.O.R.E. Program?
The Odessa College Mentoring Program is defined as a
one-to-one relationship between an OC employee and an OC
student. The mentor provides consistent support,
guidance, and concrete help to a student who needs a positive role model. Students involved in the
mentoring program may be going through a difficult
and/or challenging situation, a period of life in which
they need extra support. Or they may simply need to have
another significant adult present in their life. The
goal of student mentoring is to help students involved
in the mentoring program gain the skills and
confidence to be responsible for their own futures.
M.O.R.E. Handbook for details about the
Check back for the Fall 2013 schedule.
A total of 8
contacts with your mentor throughout the semester is
required for completion of the Mentoring Program.
The program is offered as a free
service to all OC students currently enrolled. All
students must be taking a minimum of six college hour
How do I Apply?
Please use the online form.
For more information, call 335-6538 or fill out a
Help Desk Form. The application is to help the M.O.R.E.
team match you with your mentor or mentee for the semester.
A "Good Mentor" is someone who:
Engages in a positive relationship with the student.
Gives attention to the student.
Has a positive self-esteem about himself/herself.
Reacts well to stressful situations.
Tolerates frustrating situations.
Communicates on a level that the student can
Is a positive role model.
Meets on bi-weekly basis with the mentee
Shows up on time for sessions.
Reinforces student’s success.
Students benefit by:
- Receiving the support and guidance from an Odessa
College faculty or staff member.
- Receiving assistance with academic endeavors.
- Experiencing greater self-esteem and motivation to
- Receiving encouragement to stay in school and
- Receiving assistance in choosing a career path.
- Help transitioning into college
- Someone to talk to regarding challenges in school
- Building a fresh set of references for jobs &
- Establishing a social and professional network on
- Learn job skills from faculty/staff with experience