ON CAMPUS TUTORING
We offer tutoring in all major academic areas to OC
students. Tutoring is conducted by appointment (highly
recommended for guaranteed time) or by walk-in. There is
no charge for tutoring in the SSC. Please check the
schedule above for subjects and times.
Have a question? Stuck on a problem?
Online tutoring available.
The Student Success Center provides online tutoring by
on-site tutors during their scheduled hours. Use
Bold Chat to reach an SSC tutor live through a
message board. Click on the chat button on the home
page. Then, simply ask if a tutor is available. For
longer sessions, you will be directed to Blackboard
Keep in mind that on-site tutors are also providing
one-on-one tutoring to students on campus and some
responses may take longer than expected.
Smarthinking - Help when you need it, 24 hours a
It’s 12 am the night before your final and
you’re stuck on a problem. You decide it’s too
late to email your professor or call classmates.
As you slip deeper into panic mode, you gulp your
caffeinated drink and mumble under your breath, "Where
is help when I need it?"
FREE Online Tutoring for OC students:
Bilingual | Math | Introductory
Anatomy & Physiology | Biology | Chemistry | Writing
| Reading | Organic Chemistry | Physics | Economics
| Finance | Accounting | Statistics | Spanish |
Business | Nursing and Allied Health | Computers and
With SMARTHINKING, you can:
- Connect with an e-structor and interact with a
- Submit your Writing for any class to our Online
- Submit a Question and receive a reply from a
Access Smarthinking in your Blackboard classes or
for the Portal now.
or Follow these steps to get started:
- Go to
- You will be given instructions on getting into the
- Once in the portal click on the “Smarthinking”
- Once you're there, you have access to all the
- If you are taking Online Courses you may also
access Smarthinking through
For help call us at 432-335-6673 or
Reasons to Seek Tutoring -
- Understanding of course material
- Preparing for tests, editing
papers, and improving study skills.
- Referred by instructors and/or
- Tutors can set realistic goals for
students and assist them with achieving
- Tutors can also be helpful to
students who are satisfied with their
- Students should not wait until the
last minute to seek assistance from a
Students who receive referrals are strongly
encouraged to follow the advice of their instructors or
academic advisors. These referrals are made because
tutoring works, and they know it!
Student’s Responsibilities in the Tutoring Process
- The tutor’s primary purpose is to
assist the student in comprehending the
coursework, provide feedback to the
student, and assist the student with
related study skills.
- Tutors do not give out answers, but
assist students in understanding and
working out assignments.
- Students must bring all necessary
materials such as textbooks, class
notes, handouts, etc.
- Students must attempt to complete
assignments to the best of their ability
before seeking tutoring.
- All reading assignments should be
read by the student before the tutoring
- The student must do his/her part by
attending class regularly, taking notes,
reading assigned material, and
attempting to complete assignments
before the tutoring session.
- Students must play an active role in
determining what course of action is
best for themselves.
Tutoring sessions generally last for one hour each.
However, the student and the tutor must mutually
determine what is best for the student concerning the
frequency and duration of tutoring sessions.
Please call the SSC at
432-335-6878 or 335-6673 to schedule a tutoring