ITEM #1 - 800m race – should it be a preliminary heat and finals OR finals only? This is the first year all conferences have 16 qualifiers, some may even have scratches to be a lower number. You may want to discuss this topic with coaches and with your meet referee and starter.
- Prelims and finals run in lanes through the 100m break. This has been the UIL format, especially with the past several years in 2A-5A of 24 qualifiers. Now the issue becomes more critical for coaches that are concerned that this format enables the multi-event distance athlete, in which their regular season and district formats never require a prelim for the 800m and changes the qualifying and scoring landscape.
- Tracks vary in the width of each lane, which must be taken into consideration especially when assigning two per lane.
- A "FINALS only" pushes the Friday schedule, so you should consider a short break after the 4x100m relay to accommodate the space created by no prelim in the 800m.
- NFHS Rule allows for a waterfall start in 800m, 1600m and 3200m provided competitors begin 3m back and approach only on the starters commands - on page 3, NFHS rule 5.7.3.
- Choice one: prelims and finals, run in lanes.
- Choice two: no prelims, waterfall start with 16 competitors. By rule the race can be re-called IF NEEDED in the first 100m. RISK INVOLVED.
- Choice three: no prelims, run 2 athletes per lane, break at 100m. HIGH RISK FOR REGIONAL EVENT SINCE THE RECALL BY RULE CANNOT OCCUR AFTER THE BREAK, NOW CREATES OPPORTUNITY FOR DQ, INTERFERENCE AND FALLS.
NOT FOR DEBATE, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS FORMAT:
ITEM #2 - seeding for finals. Format should be followed for HS meets (different than current NCAA).
- Race heat winners automatic advance to finals.
- Advance next 6 fastest times.
- Seed lanes by prelim performance.
- Field event prelims take 8 best performances to finals.
- Re-seed the 8 finalists and reverse order for finals.
- Record and enter all performances, send to UIL.
- Break all ties. We need EXACT results for the field events in order to pull the wildcard qualifier to state. We ask that you scan and email the actual recorders sheets if you don't have the sequence entered into the results files.
ITEM #3 – we expect you to have scratches due to ineligibility. Several school districts ended the grading periods last week, which means some athletes could fail and become ineligible this Friday.
- Coaches should notify you when a failure has occurred, which could make an athlete eligible during the day on Friday. Status changes at their regular time of close of instruction. In this scenario, the athlete could only compete in those events during the day on Friday.
- If a coach notifies you in a reasonable time frame this week and would like to scratch and offer the position to the next qualifier (some may not know until Wed. or Thurs.), please try to handle those situations as best you can. We want to maximize participation, however it can get time consuming and understand that at the very last minute it may be impossible to get a replacement to regional.
University Interscholastic League
Assistant Athletic Director